We can’t always be done with work early and spend an hour in the kitchen preparing a fresh dinner. However, a stir-fry is quick, healthy and tasty, and can be cooked in less than 10 minutes! Instructions below:
You’ll need to pick up a few ingredients on the way home, or during your weekly food shop if you’re super efficient You’ll also need to buy some sesame or ground nut oil and soy sauce if you haven’t got any lingering in the cupboard (buy big bottles as you’ll use them again). Fresh is best, but if you’re really pushed for time (can’t be ars*d), the pre-made packs of stir-fry mix are also pretty good.
A few mushrooms * a pepper * bag of spinach * spring onions * bean-sprouts * garlic * fresh chili * lump of ginger * meat or fish (prawns) or veggie alternative (tofu) * fresh coriander * packet of egg noodles (these will be in the oriental section).
- Chop the flavours (garlic, ginger and chili). Now wash your hands before going to the bathroom!
- Prepare the meat, fish or veggie alternative by chopping it up into small bits. If you’ve got time, marinade it for a while in some soy sauce with the garlic, chili and ginger.
- Chop all the veggies up and set aside on a large plate next to the oven.
- Get the wok out the cupboard and given it a rinse. Add a few tablespoons of the oil (sesame or ground nut) and turn up the heat so it gets hot hot hot.
- Toss in the meat and keep moving it around for a few minutes to get it sealed. Next, toss in the rest of the ingredient and keep everything moving whilst the heat is up (if using prawns, they cook real quick so add them after the veggies). After a few minutes, add some soy sauce (or the packet of sauce that came with your pre-prepared stir-fry mix), keep it sizzling for a few more minutes and you’re all done.
- Top with the fresh coriander if you have it and serve with noodles (these take 2 minutes to cook – see instruction on the back of the packet).
Win extra brownie points by surprising the other half, or save the extra portion for the next day’s lunch or dinner. Enjoy!